3 Tips on Improving Home Energy Efficiency

Most homeowners aren’t aware of how easy it is to make their homes energy-efficient. Here at Lakeview Electric, we want to change that.

Significant reductions in your energy bill can be achieved through very simple changes—most of which homeowners can implement themselves. Of course, every home is different, and for homeowners who want to learn more about the latest, most innovative home energy efficiency solutions, our highly experienced technicians can perform an in-depth analysis to find the best energy-efficiency systems that are suited to your particular home. 

But in the meanwhile, here are some pro tips on improving home energy efficiency. 

A Little Thermostat Adjustment

Even the most minor temperature changes can have a significant bearing on the energy efficiency of your home. Setting the thermostat at 78 degrees or higher during the warm summer months, and 68 degrees or lower during winter, can help you drive down your energy consumption greatly. 

Natural sunlight can also make a huge difference to your electricity bills. Keep your drapes and blinds closed to keep out the sun’s warmth in the summer, and open them up in the winter. When you control the amount of sunlight entering your home, your HVAC doesn’t have to work as hard to maintain a comfortable temperature. 

Unplug Your Electric Appliance and Devices When Not in Use

Most of us rarely remember to power down and unplug household devices. This can hugely impact the energy efficiency of your home. Therefore, unplugging electronics such as charging devices for laptop computers, phones, digital cameras, and tablets after use can help you drive down those bills. 

Moreover, it’s best to use a power strip for such devices. This will allow you to power them off with just a single button. 

Use LED Lights

11% of the average American household’s energy budget goes toward lighting. Conventional incandescent and fluorescent light bulbs only convert around 10% of the energy they consume into light, while the remaining 90% is lost as heat. 

On the other hand, new lighting technologies, such as LEDs, are much more energy-efficient. LEDs are 6–7 times more energy-efficient compared to incandescent lightbulbs and can reduce energy usage by more than 80%. 

If you’re located in Reno, Sparks, or Minden, NV, and require the services of a reputable and reliable professional electrician, get in touch with us at Lakeview Electric LLC.

You cannot copy content of this page